Clutter can play a significant role in how we feel day to day with a cloud following us around reminding us of our messy house! Messy homes and places of work leave us feeling anxious, helpless, and overwhelmed. Why does mess lead to so much stress?
1. Clutter bombards our minds with extra “to-dos” and distractions causing our senses to work overtime distracting us from what’s important!
2. A messy place makes it more difficult to relax, both physically and mentally, continuously reminding us out work is never done.
3. Clutter makes us anxious because we’re never sure what it’s going to take to get through to the bottom of the pile along with feelings of guilt if we prolong tackling it!
4. Clutter inhibits creativity and productivity by invading the open spaces that allow most people to think, brain storm, and problem solve – making our actual work outside of home more difficult in time.
5. Clutter frustrates us by preventing us from locating what we need quickly (e.g. files and paperwork lost in the “pile” or keys swallowed up by the clutter).
Fortunately, unlike other more commonly recognized sources of stress (e.g., our jobs, our relationships), clutter is one of the easiest life stressors to fix! Here are a few ideas:
Make it fun! While you’re de-cluttering in between professional cleaning and organizing services schedule a time for yourself to clear your mind, put on some music and have at it! The more up-beat, the better! Not only will you enjoy the tunes, the time will pass faster and you’ll probably work faster than you would without the music! Live stress free in your home today with a solid cleaning and organizing plan!